Thursday, June 10, 2010

Working out in the yard...

Yesterday started out dreary, but it ended on a beautiful note... sun shining and a mild 75 degrees out. So I took advantage of the extra hands around and did what I should have done a month ago..planted the rest of the garden and filled my flower pots. Finally. In fact, when I went to buy my flowers, they were all on clearance. This concerned me a bit because I didn't want the wimpy leftover flowers, but sure enough-- if I looked carefully I had no trouble finding some beauties.
Introducing...my wonderful help... Notice Lucas' bike helmet. Hey, gardening can be pretty dangerous at our house. :)
Planting marigolds that will border the flower beds.
The garden currently contains the following: watermelon, pumpkins, cilantro, lettuce, green beans, peas, edamame, tomatoes, red hot chili peppers, suriano and bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes. Sweet corn is planted out by the shed. Oh, and for a good measure I planted marigolds in the front of the garden.
Here are the potted plants... sorry, not the greatest lighting.
Lucas picked out a marigold for his flower this year. He's in charge of watering it. We'll see how that goes.
Black eyed susans (climbing vine version)... hands down... my favorite. A must-have every year.
Clamatis (definitey not spelled right...)
Impatiens...
Eric and Lucas came back from a bike ride with a handful of black raspberries. YUMMMY!!
And to top off the evening... several runs through the sprinkler. Hey, we had to water our flowers, why not!

No comments: