Friday, August 17, 2007

Back to the grindstone!

Before reading this, bare in mind that it's been one of those weeks for the 3 of us... so consider yourself warned...

The three of us all headed back to school this week...yes, it's that time of year again. It's been- an okay week. I already miss my long days with Lucas a lot. I miss the lazy mornings when we stay in our pjs until after nap time. I miss our splash wars in the kiddie pool. I even miss picking up after him and following him around the house all day. Yes, the life of a teacher is wonderful because Eric and I have our summers to ourselves with Lucas. It's been such a perfect summer-- seeing lots of family and friends. Reality sets in at about this time, though. Eric and I both love our jobs a whole lot. It will just take some time adjusting and getting used to this whole thing now that we have Lucas. I have to say, I talked about Lucas so much the first day I had my new set of 2nd graders! They all seemed so genuinly interested which made me pretty happy. I have a good group of kids I think and they all come with such different needs and unique characteristics. That's what makes my job so fun. But back to my point... it's just been a long week since the 3 of us haven't had much bonding time. Lucas goes to TOTS every day where he is well taken care of and gets to play with 7 other kids around his age. How great is that!? Also, Eric is smack dab in the middle of football season so he's busy with practices and preparing for upcoming games. Lucas and I can't WAIT to go cheer on the boys this season. So as you can imagine, we're all pretty busy right now. Which makes our time together in the evenings pretty special. It's still pretty hard for me to imagine that Lucas will actually be turning 1 in a couple months...and to think it only seemed like yesterday he was this teeny-tiny thing that barely fit in his 0-3 months clothes. Wow. Time flies. I was chatting with a colleague of mine whose son is a senior in HS. She's having a hard time since it'll be the last year her son will be at home...I can't IMAGINE what that's gotta be like! So it puts things into perspective for me a bit. I'm so thankful that Eric and I have jobs that we love, and I'm so thankful that Lucas gets to go to a safe place each day and play with all of his buddies. I'm thankful that I'm learning how to prioritize my time at school. I'm finally realizing that I don't have to strive to be that perfect 2nd grade teacher I'm always pushing myself to be... because my son and husband are more important to me and they deserve to have a happy mom/wife when I get home from school.

(big sigh) With that said...here's what you really wanted to see when you came to our blog...pictures of Lucas. :) Thanks for letting me vent.










2 comments:

runyonski said...

Nice post Mindy. Hey...are those TU sweat pants on the boy?

mrs. bland said...

Yup...compliments of the "Pegg-ers"