Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Sweet Sophie B.

I still find it hard to come up with words to describe the events of last Tuesday.  Even a week later, it's very much a blur.  It began with a phone call.  Eric called me at school with the news that Sophie had a bad fall of some sort at TOTS and was on his way to take her to the ER.  At that moment, nothing else mattered to me than being there.  I literally grabbed my keys, informed the office on my way out, and flew to the hospital.  My mind raced to every possible scenario... at this point we didn't have a whole lot of information. 
I stood outside waiting for Eric to pull up at the hospital... (ironically the very spot I stood when we loaded the car to bring Sophie and Lucas home from the hospital when they were born).  When Eric pulled up I remember gently taking Sophie from her car seat and hearing her deep muffled sobs.  Eric was able to tell me then that she had hit her head hard and had a large gash above her eye but the part that was most concerning was her mouth.  The nurse at Sophie's school warned us that she suspected some loose teeth and perhaps teeth that were pushed up into her gums.

We entered the hospital and, after what seemed like forever, the nurses and doctor did a thorough check on her... cleaned her scrapes, applied Dermabond on her deep gash, and felt fairly comfortable telling us that she probably didn't suffer a concussion (which was my concern from the beginning).  Then they examined her mouth.  Sure enough... her front two teeth had been pushed up into her gums, one more than the other, and one of her eye teeth was loose.  We were then sent to a dentist who told us we'd have to wait a month for x-rays and then go from there.  A lot of scenarios can play out regarding her teeth... we're praying for the best case scenario and that is that they will work their way back down on their own and she'll go on as if nothing happened.  There are a few other scenarios possible but I try not to think about them much.  

Which brings us to today, exactly one week later.  Sophie, our tough little girl, is going to be just fine.  Again, we're not sure what the future holds for some of her teeth, but the most important thing is that she is okay.  The Lord really spared her from getting any more seriously hurt.  She did have a bruised black eye for a while along with the scapes around her eye... and the cutest smile you can imagine...with her little crooked teeth.  I haven't been able to get a good picture, but I did capture these.

Taken the evening of the injury.

She feasted on a diet of soft foods for a couple days.  I took Wednesday off, which was special for me... just to be able to be home with Soph.  I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else.  We went on a long walk, played, read books, and she even helped me clean up the house a bit.  She acted just fine all day except for a few instances where she was tired and quiet.
 Four days later:





 I took a good long time last week...just expressing to God how thankful I am for my two kids.  I don't ever want to take good health for granted. 

.... by the way.... we later found out the details surrounding how Sophie got hurt.  Her and Lucas's classes were both outside playing on the playground.  Lucas's class lined up to head back in to school and Sophie began to run as fast as her little legs could carry her... probably to say good bye or give Lucas a hug.  She wasn't looking ahead when she was running and ran into the corner of a park bench.  We're so thankful Lucas didn't see it happen.  And we're also so very thankful that the kids are in a daycare situation where there's a nurse there at all times.  Mrs. Gribble, the school nurse, attended to her right away.  She even called later that evening to make sure Sophie was doing okay.  It's those little things that you don't realize... until something like this happens. 

And that was our Tuesday that I know I'll never forget.

2 comments:

the barretts said...

bless you Min. You are a great Mom. So glad that Soph is ok....

Ashley said...

I'm so sorry you and Eric and Sophie went through that. I'm praying for her tonight and for you - the things we go through as moms when scary things happen to our sweet precious little ones leave their marks on us. You and Eric are great parents. hang in there.